28 avril 2006

need to learn to wake up

The only bad thing about trying to establish an exercise routine is that when I break it, I feel terrible. Today I tried so hard to get up at 6 a.m. with the idea that I'd be on the path at 6:30, then back by 7:30 in time to shower before leaving at 8 for an appointment at 8:30.

It didn't work that way.

First of all, I set 3 alarms. But I think setting 3 alarms made me even more anxious, because around 6:00, I had a dream that it was night time and I was just starting to fall asleep when: bi-bi-bi-beep! bi-bi-bi-beep! The first one--my cell phone alarm--forced the realization that I had already been asleep for seven hours. I hit snooze. It kept bugging me every five minutes until I finally turned it off around 6:30 and stayed in bed.

I thought about running, I really did. A vague, foggy voice kept softly telling me, "you want to be out there. This is why you set the alarms. Just get up and you'll see." But I said "screw you" to that little voice and kept sleeping. The second alarm was set for 7 a.m. I don't know why I set the alarms like this. It was like a ticket to stay in bed. The second alarm was really more of a nuisance. It was the radio, which always seems so bizarre coming out of sleep. Like, "who are these people in my room at 7 a.m. and why are they talking about Christina Aguilera?" I hit snooze several times because I couldn't figure out how to turn the damn thing off (it's a borrowed clock radio from someone who has to get up really early all the time. I used to always wake up on time when he had to get up. Don't know why it doesn't work when I'm alone...). I finally turned the volume off on the radio and went back to sleep, realizing that it was too late to run and be back in time to shower.

The third and final alarm was the buzzer at 7:30 a.m. Curse the people who make clock radios with more than one alarm. It really is just a way to delay the inevitable. With one alarm, you realize that you don't have a choice, and you get up. With two, you pretend you're getting up early, but really you're just allowing yourself to sleep in until the last minute anyways. I hit snooze several more times and then finally was somewhat awake, but just lay in bed and stared at walls for a couple more minutes, then pulled my laptop on my stomach, checked my email, spaced out a little bit longer, and then FINALLY, after it was either get up or call in sick, I dragged myself into the shower and got ready to go.

Haven't exercised since Wednesday night (unless you count Irish Step dancing, which wasn't much of a workout because Lisa and I ate Mexican food, including blood orange margaritas, right before we danced, so we were sluggish and ill throughout the class). This can't go on. Tomorrow I will get up at a reasonable hour and take a run and go to my favorite Pilates class.

Don't worry, I'm not turning into one of those obsessive worker outers. I just like how I feel when I'm active. And I look pretty good, too.

Comments:
yes, working out makes you feel better about yourself. i've taken to lots of walking b/c frankly, though I would love to run, I have bad knees that would crumble. so a quick walk works for me. My alarm trick:
Set 1, 2 or 3 alarms but don't put them within reach of your bed. When I have to get up early I set alarms up on my dresser, in a corner, wherever is far but audible. It forces you to get out of bed to turn them off and once you're out of bed, as long as it's not cold out, you are less likely to go back...
 
Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?