15 juin 2005

Sox Woes

At the heart of the Sox's troubled wooing of Chicago lies a conundrum worthy of Yogi Berra: They haven't been good enough to win, and they haven't been bad enough to tap into baseball's romance with hapless losers. Erik Ahlberg, Wall St. Journal

Apparently the Chicago White Sox just can't “get it up” (excuse the expression) like their cross town rivals, the Cubs. I have to admit, I'd choose Wrigley over the U.S. Cellular Field any day. I mean, c'mon, The U.S. Cellular Field? It sounds like a biological weapons testing ground. I understand that both Wrigley and the USCF, if I may call it that, are named after the corporations that own them. However, the U.S. Cellular Field just doesn't have a catchy “ring” to it (haha get it? “Ring???”) like Wrigley Field does. And while we're comparing teams, let's not ignore the mascots. Oh wait, there is no comparison. Who wouldn't choose a cuddly little cubby bear over a smelly old sports sock? Come to think of it, neither one seems to evoke images of strong grown men swinging bats and sliding into the dirt, but I digress...I'm trying to say that when rooting for a Chicago baseball team, the Cubs win my favor, hands down.
My team comparisons may seem a little bit less-than-credible, seeing as I don't actually know much of the teams' overall stats or individual player skills, but as my family will attest to, I don't go to Wrigley for the game. I go for the food--the overpriced steamed hot dogs and unshelled salty peanuts; the chocolate malt cups with wooden stick-spoons; the Old Style Beer. I go for Wrigley, for the same cliché reasons that everyone likes Wrigley-the ivy colored walls; the history; yada yada yada. It's not that I don't care about the game, or that I don't understand the game-I do. But if I were going to choose a baseball team based on the sheer abilities of the players, I'd probably be a fair weather-fan and wouldn't give a damn about the ivy.

Comments: Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?