21 juin 2005

I'm Meeeeelting!

""It's hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it. A little crotch pot cooking.' Well, can you tell me what it feels like? 'Fool, it's hot! I told you again! Were you born on the sun? It's damn hot! I saw... It's so damn hot, I saw little guys, their orange robes burst into flames. It's that hot! Do you know what I'm talking about?' What do you think it's going to be like tonight? 'It's gonna be hot and wet! That's nice if you're with a lady, but it ain't no good if you're in the jungle.' Thank you, Roosevelt."
Robin Williams as Adrian Cronauer and Roosevelt E. Roosevelt in Good Morning, Vietnam

We sleep with the windows open, no covers, no fans. I have a theory that the French don’t believe in the use of electric ventilation apparatus. I can deal with no air conditioning, no problem. But a fan is a must in the summer months, n’est-ce pas? Especially on those dead nights where it’s still 27 degrees Celsius (about 80 degrees F.) at 11 p.m. and you lie in your sweat-soaked bed, praying for even the smallest of breezes… Okay I’m exaggerating a tiny bit. It’s not been that hard to sleep, and I’m by no means wilting away. But most nights, I lay there, cursing la chaleur and wondering how it is that G. (along with most males I know) have the amazing ability to fall into a dead sleep in the most un-sleep-inducing situations.*

In other news, a few nights ago we saw Les Poupées Russes (the Russian Dolls). It’s the sequel to 2002’s L’Auberge Espagnole, both written and directed by Cédric Klapisch. The sequel rejoins four of the principal characters from the first film, now living in Paris and London, newly 30 years old and still figuring out how to be truly happy, fulfilled and loved in a world of convention and mediocrity. An enjoyable film, mainly because its principal actor, Romain Duris, is so interesting to watch. He’s not classically handsome, but there’s something about him that makes you want to know him. We also have the pleasure of watching Audrey Tautou, of Amélie fame, who’s given a meatier role this time around (as a young single mom, no less). I have to say, it’s not as unexpectedly delightful as the first one, but for a sequel, it’s no small feat. The film could easily stand on its own, as the story is virtually independent of the original, yet Klapsich reveals a complexity in his characters that he couldn’t quite reach the first time around. Don’t know when this one will be out in the States, but go see it if you like love stories that are both strikingly realistic and yet completely unimaginable at the same time.

*This does not include falling asleep in front of the TV, which I do pretty much every time I watch a DVD in the dark.

Comments:
i love cedric klapiche's stuff..have you seen chacun cherche son chat?

i have been trying to do without air conditioning over here...but for crying out loud, how can anyone sleep without a fan of some sort running in such heat (and most time such humidity!
 
C. Klapish is a very interesting director. He has a good knowledge of the people on their '30s and he know how to produce a movie that hit them in the heart.

From my point of view "Les poupées russes" can be compared to Garden State, expect that his movie avoid contemplation scene for self reflexionism. The characteres are also more studied.

I suggest you find a theatre where the movie is shown, you won't regret it :)
 
suzanne...you are linked on my main blog page...maybe not on the comments page...i just switched my site to the new server and haven't worked it all out yet!
 
Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?